Commonwealth Honors College
Online Tools for the CHC Community
CHC PATHS is an online tool for the Commonwealth Honors College community. A UMass NetID is required to log in.
Honors students can use CHC PATHS to set up course contracts such as an independent study honors (ISH) or an Honors Thesis/Project (499Y/T/P). Faculty members and honors thesis committee members use CHC PATHS to review and authorize these contracts.
For Spring 2017 courses:
- Students must submit independent study or honors thesis/project contract proposals by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, December 14, 2016.
- Faculty sponsors and Honors Program Directors must approve student contracts (including approval for credit limit overrides) by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, January 26, 2017.
- The January 26, 2017 deadline for submission and completion of faculty approvals of Honors contract-course proposals on CHC PATHS has passed. Submissions will not be reviewed for approval by the CHC Academic Standards Committee unless they are accompanied by a Faculty Appeal, written in CHC PATHS on the student's behalf by the student’s faculty sponsor (ISH) or committee chair (499T/P/Y). Click on the “Post Comment to Faculty Link” if comments have already been made or, if not, in the dialog box that will appear after the “approve” button has been clicked. Please put into the comments box the information requested below
- The Faculty Appeal must
- specify the extenuating circumstances necessitating late registration
- demonstrate that a semester's worth of work for the credits requested will indeed be completed on the project during Spring 2017. The CHC credit-hour requirement is a minimum of 3 hours of honors work per credit each week for the entire 13-week semester, not including attendance at group meeting or meeting with advisors and near-peer mentors.
- The Commonwealth Honors College Academic Standards Committee (ASC) will review the faculty-approved proposal and accept it as submitted, accept it with revisions, return it to the student and faculty sponsor for revisions, or reject it (refer to the PATHS Flow Chart for more details).
- With an ASC-approved contract, students can begin their work at the start of the Spring 2017 semester.
For Fall 2017 courses:
For ISH courses, and particularly for senior theses and projects, students are strongly encouraged to submit the contract before the end of the Spring 2017 semester. This will avoid delays in faculty approvals and late registration which we have previously experienced in the busy first two weeks of the semester. Submitting the contract by the end of the Spring 2017 semester also will give students time to work on refining proposals during the summer. For senior theses and projects, timely submission also allows for getting a headstart on the preliminary thesis research or project development during the summer.
The absolute deadline for student submissions of contracts on PATHS is August 15th. Note that all faculty approvals as well as approvals for credit overloads must be completed and submitted on PATHS by the end of the day on the first Thursday of the semester. This deadline date for the Fall 2017 semester is September 7th.